A work of living history
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Rosen House is a work of living history. You can enjoy the Rosen House in many ways – take a Tour, attend a Lecture, enjoy an Afternoon Tea service, come to one of our Summer Evenings at the Rosens’ programs (check the calendar for upcoming events), hear a concert in the Music Room or Spanish Courtyard, or attend a benefit Soiree.
The Mediterranean style House was built during the period between 1929 and 1939 by Walter Rosen, a Berlin born, Harvard and NYU Law School educated international banker specializing in railroads, and Lucie Bigelow Dodge Rosen, an independently minded, spirited, and highly intelligent member of a prominent New York City family.
Filled with examples of fine and decorative Asian and Renaissance art spanning the centuries, the House offers a number of treasures, including complete 18th century rooms, originally from private villas and chateaux in Italy, France, and England. The Burgundian Library is a French 17th century, paneled room with a brilliant blue groin-vaulted ceiling. An exquisite 16th century painted Spanish ceiling is found in an alcove off the Music Room. Doors thought to have been designed by Giovanni Battista Tiepolo (1695-1770), made for a Venetian palace, along with turquoise Chinese export wallpaper featuring birds perched in flowering trees are found in the dining room. Walter Rosen’s bedroom has Gothic paneling from a residence in the Tyrol, and Italian peasant furniture. Lucie Rosen’s bedroom contains a carved and gilded bed that belonged to Pope Urban VIII. The majestic Music Room includes Renaissance furniture and Urbino Maiolica, Gothic tapestries, 18th century needlework chairs, as well as several 20th century sculptures, by Malvina Hoffman and others, commissioned by Walter Rosen.
Thousands of other rare and distinctive art objects, including tapestries, sculpture, paintings, stained glass, and an impressive jade collection, also fill the 25,000-foot House.
The Spanish Courtyard, the interior courtyard of the House, contains gardens and cloisters, as well as niches with intricate painted wall designs. This distinctive space can be described as “Spanish under the influence of the Italian Renaissance” given the architectural styles reminiscent of 15th century Italian architect Filippo Brunelleschi.
The Caramoor experience was born in the House – and continues to this day. As great lovers of music (Walter Rosen was an accomplished pianist, and Lucie Rosen’s own Theremin talents led her to give performances around the world) the Rosens filled their home with friends and neighbors for intimate musical performances, lavish parties, and musical soirees. In 1946, as those performances and parties gained momentum, the House was opened to the public, spawning the early years of what became the Caramoor International Music Festival and Caramoor’s year-round programming – traditions that continue today.
Today, nearly 15,000 annual visitors to the House, including more than 5,000 school-aged children, learn about the House, arts, and culture through Caramoor’s Schools & Kids programs. Portions of the House are also used for private parties, events, and film shoots.
Caramoor Members can also enjoy special Members only events in the House.
To arrange a Group Tour of the House, please contact us at email@example.com or 914-232-5035 Ext 221